The South African National Research Network (SANReN) hosted a parallel event at the CHPC National Conference 2019 on the 3rd December 2019 at the Birchwood Hotel and OR Tambo Conference Centre in Kempton Park.
SANReN is hosting its third Cyber Security Challenge during the CHPC National Meeting 2019 at the Birchwood Hotel and OR Tambo Conference Centre in Kempton Park from the 01 to 04 December 2019.
SANReN herewith requests proposals from South African public universities to host a grant programme that is designed to assist post-graduate students performing research in the fields of network security. This grant programme is aimed at:
- supporting applied research in the field of network security, with a specific focus on the application thereof in the NREN domain; and
- developing a pipeline of graduates skilled and capable in network security
Funding will be awarded to the university that is deemed to be most capable of leading Masters and PhD level graduate students, as well as post-doctoral researchers in the field of network security.
Details of the research focus areas, eligibility criteria, application requirements and evaluation process:
Universities that wish to apply for the grant programme can submit their proposals to Dr Renier van Heerden at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 1 July 2019.
SANReN, represented by Dr Renier van Heerden, participated in the 4th AENEAS All-hands meeting during 5-7 March 2019, hosted by the University of Manchester.
The objective of the AENEAS project is to develop a concept and design for a distributed, federated European Science Data Centre (ESDC) to support the astronomical community in achieving the scientific goals of the Square Kilometre Array (SKA).
Further details of the meeting: https://indico.astron.nl/conferenceDisplay.py?ovw=True&confId=198
The AENEAS project is a H2020 project that runs from 1 January 2017
SANReN has published a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the supply, Installation and commissioning of dark fibre infrastructure for the South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) from Carnarvon to Beaufort West.
Bid Number: 3259/08/02/2019
Publish date: 11 December 2018
Closing date: 08 February 2019 at 16h30
RFP documents can be found on the National Treasury eTender Publication Portal
Compulsory briefing session: 18 January 2019 at 10h00 at the CSIR Meraka Institute, Building 43, Meiring Naude Road
The competition was split into two rounds:
- During the first round, students competed for placement in the final round. Over two hundred students from more than ten universities competed in the qualification round that was hosted during September and October 2018.
- During the final round, 38 students comprising ten teams competed over a span of four days from the 2nd to 5th December 2018. Much fun was had by the students during the competition.
The following teams participated in the final round:
- misJUDged (BRICS Champions) – University of Pretoria
- Down Town Cookie Factory – University of Pretoria
- Wits Hacky Sac – University of the Witwatersrand
- PUK3 – North West University
- GGEZ – University of the Western Cape
- Mirai – Rhodes University
- Bit Phase – Stellenbosch University
- Bureau 122 – University of Cape Town
- NUST4 – Namibia University of Science and Technology
- Cyber Nerds – University of Botswana
The final scoreboard at the end of the 2018 competition was as follows:
Overall placement Prizes:
- First Place: misJUDged (BRICS Champions) – University of Pretoria
- Second place: Bit Phase – Stellenbosch University
- Third Place: Down Town Cookie Factory – University of Pretoria
- Social Engineering Challenge:
- Muhammed Rashaad Cassim (Wits Hacky Sac – University of the Witwatersrand)
- Senate Pearl Lekemola (Cyber Nerds – University of Botswana)
- Zonica Lombard (PUK3 – North West University)
- Tinashe Chitamba (NUST4 – Namibia University of Science and Technology)
- Hash Challenge: GGEZ – University of the Western Cape
- Hack the Server Challenge: misJUDged (BRICS Champions) – University of Pretoria
Much appreciation goes to our Cyber Security Challenge 2018 Sponsors
For more information see Cyber Security Challenge 2018