The National Integrated Cyber Infrastructure System (NICIS) competitive research grant is now open. This grant aim is to promote research capacity development through a competitive research grant award system.
The rationale for this call is to make funds available to researchers in areas of Cyber Infrastructure (CI), including all fields of Science, Engineering and Technology (SET), Humanities and the Social Sciences (SS). This funding instrument is intended to support fundamental and applied research:
- for the advancement of the foundational sciences and technologies for CI, which includes, but is not limited to: computational science; data science; computer science; network and storage technologies; and
- across a multitude of disciplines spanning the humanities, social sciences, natural and engineering sciences and beyond, which leverage CIs to achieve its multidisciplinary research goals. Projects in scope would advance and harness CI in support of the national research agenda. Hence the objectives of the National e-Research Support Programme (NeRSP) are to:
- Drive CI research;
- Build and support the CI capability pipeline in the country CI;
- Knowledge generation, e.g. publications;
- Knowledge exploitation, e.g. patents;
- Improve SA’s international reputation in CI;
- Develop new prototypes, demonstrators, technologies; services etc. to improve and enhance the performance of CI and CI-related capabilities in the country; and
- Increase utilisation of the national CI currently available in the country, such as:
- the Centre for High Performance Computing (CHPC);
- the South African NREN, (SA NREN which comprises a close collaboration
between SANReN and TENET);
- the Data Intensive Research Initiative for South Africa (DIRISA); and
- Tier 2 CI initiatives.
The National e-Research programme will support the following broad thematic areas of fundamental and applied research:
- Theme A: Technologies and tools for data intensive research and for petascale data storage,
- Theme B: High Speed, Secure Networks for Research Communities, and
- Theme C: High-End Computing infrastructure and tools.
Further details can be found at: https://eresearch.wegrow.co.za/